In response to the plastic pollution issues plaguing our oceans beaches and waves, Surfrider Foundation created a program to stop single-use plastic at its source, restaurants. The Ocean Friendly Restaurants Program (OFR) helps restaurants adopt ocean-friendly criteria to help create a more sustainable, cleaner and safer ocean.
If you think your establishment qualifies as an Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) or are interested in hearing more about becoming an OFR, please contact Morgan Knowles, Broward’s OFR Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why do we need Ocean Friendly Restaurants?
EPS foam foodware (cups, plates, ‘clamshells’, etc.) is a top item found at Surfrider beach cleanups and EPS foam does not biodegrade in our lifetimes. It may photodegrade and/or break into small pieces if littered, which are harder to clean up.
Animals can mistake EPS foam for food or nesting materials and although inexpensive to buy, EPS foam litter can be expensive to clean up.
Americans use an estimated 500 million plastic straws every day and restaurants use an average of 5,800 gallons of water per day.
Restaurants participating in the OFR Program MUST follow these four criteria:
1. No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
2. Proper recycling practices are followed.
3. Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining and utensils for to-go food are provided only upon request.
4. No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
5. Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
6. No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
7. Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
8. Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
9. Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets.
10. Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances.
Implement all 10 of the criteria to be recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant!
Check out this Quick Guide for Restaurants for specific ways to meet each of the criteria.
These are minimum criteria aimed at teaming up with restaurants to help protect the coast. Some chapters may have stricter criteria based on their local situation.
Are you ready to become our next Ocean Friendly Restaurant?
“Surfrider Foundation acknowledges that we cannot claim that all listed Restaurants are 100% in compliance with OFR standards at all times, but that Surfrider Foundation strives to diligently review compliance on a regular basis. If an Ocean Friendly Restaurant is found to be out of compliance, they are removed from the website as quickly as possible. Such a restaurant will not be reinstated on the list of Ocean Friendly Restaurants, until the compliance issue is remedied.”