SAVE THE DATE! SAVE THE OCEAN!
We are excited to announce the 2nd annual Stoked On Salt Ocean Conservation Day on Friday, July 13th, 4:00PM – 10:00pm at the Jaco Pastorius Park located at 4000 N. Dixie Hwy., Oakland Park, FL 33334. Due to the overwhelmingly positive feedback of last years event, we have expanded and partnered with the City of Oakland Park.
• 50 Ocean Conservation Booths
• Local Ocean Artists
• Kids Fun & Crafts
• Food Booths – Drinks
• Live music by the Caribbean Waves Steel Drum Band
• Live culinary shows
• Free Give-Aways
• Free Movie On the Lawn “DEEP”
This free event is not only fun, but an educational program for the entire family that will help bring awareness to our ocean in efforts efforts to preserve and protect our living coral reef ecosystems.
50 Ocean/Marine Conservation groups will come out to engage in outreach with the general public about issues that could be addressed on a local level – which we so desperately need:
CORALS – MANATEES – LIONFISH – BEACH/OCEAN DEBRIS – SHARKS – SEA TURTLES – MANTA RAYS – WHALES – LOBSTERING – WATER QUALITY – WILDLIFE RESCUE – FISHING REGULATIONS – OCEAN SAFETY and more.
Thanks For Joining Us on
International Surfing Day!
Saturday, June 16th was International Surfing Day. Island Water Sports Deerfield Beach and Surfrider Foundation Broward Chapter are teamed up to give children in foster care a fun morning on Deerfield Beach.
Thanks to YOU, we had a fantastic
March For The Ocean!
New Ocean Friendly Restaurants!
“It’s pretty incredible that as a community, we are coming together from all walks of life and different backgrounds for one common goal. Protect, clean-up, and conserve our oceans. Our restaurants are realizing how much of an impact one single good deed can do for our oceans and it’s making big waves! Each restaurant is not only helping to defend our oceans, but they’re spearheading a global movement for planetary change, while saving hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars as an added bonus.”
-Morgan Knowles, OFR Coordinator, Surfrider County Chapter
AMAZING NEWS! Screaming Carrots is now an Ocean Friendly Restaurant and our FIRST Platinum Level OFR!
They’re the FIRST Ocean Friendly Restaurant in Hallandale and the FIRST RESTAURANT IN HALLANDALE TO RECYCLE. (We had to get Hallendale Beach up to speed on the importance of reducing single use waste and proper recycling).
Since they’ve opened their doors they’ve been practicing the eco friendly lifestyle. Actually they have been ocean friendly since before the OFR program existed.
Screaming Carrots promotes compassionate, sustainable, nutrient rich and affordable vegan eating without sacrificing favor and your wallet! This is an amazing plant-based spot that offers authentic Thai and Mediterranean style dishes that also has a wide variety of teas, shakes, desserts, baked goods and so much more!
Swing by and give them some love and tell them we sent you!
The World Famous Parrot Lounge
“When you go all in, put all of these efforts in a big stew, you’re going to either come out even or save, and we’re saving money…. On top of that you’re doing a really nice thing! You feel great, the staff feels great!”.-Joe O’Donnell, Manager of the Parrot Lounge
Join us in welcoming our first Ft. Lauderdale Ocean Friendly Restaurant, and our 5th in Broward County!
They have committed themselves to making a change and being a part of the solution.
Swing by the Parrot Lounge and show them some love for saving our oceans one straw at a time! Tell em’ we sent ya!
- June 21 – June Chapter Meeting – LauderAle Brewery – More Details
- June 23 – Beach Bash For A Cause – Hollywood – More Details
- June 30 – MEEC Beach Clean-Up – MEEC – More Details
- July 5 – 5th of July Beach Clean-Up – Deerfield Beach – More Details
- July 13 – SOS Ocean Conservation Day – Jaco Pastorius Park – More Details
- July 19 – July Chapter Meeting – LauderAle Brewery – More Details
Around The Surf
Current Campaigns in Broward County to help protect our beaches and ocean:
- Ordinances against using expanded polystyrene products in public parks and on beaches.
- Enforcement of existing plastic and expanded polystyrene ordinances east of the intracoastal in Hollywood (VICTORY! Mayor Levy has given restaurants/cafes 6 months to phase out existing plastic and foam and says citations will begin this year!)
- “Straws by request only” ordinances and/or “no plastic straws” ordinances (east of the intracoastal) in Broward restaurants and bars. A customer would get a straw by request.
- Ordinances against all intentional balloon releases, including latex balloons.
- Ordinances against unencapsulated polystyrene foam docks and buoys. (VICTORY with boat show management, thanks to David Doebler!).
- Increase surf/paddle/sup zones on Hollywood Beach. (Possibly extend zone at Azalea Terr).
- Launch OFR and sign on (register) our first Broward Ocean Friendly Restaurants. (Goal of at least 3 OFR’s). (VICTORY! We currently have 5 that have passed inspections!)
- Resolutions of support for home rule on plastic bag (retail shopping bag) regulation. (VICTORY! We have resolutions from Hallandale, Dania, Hollywood, and Ft. Lauderdale. We still need resolutions from Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Lighthouse Point, and Lauderdale by the Sea (as well as inland cities).
- Resolutions of support for home rule on smoking bans for playgrounds and beaches.
- We are asking cities to put a water bottle refill station (like an Elkay) at the beach.
- Resolutions of support against all seismic blasting and Trump/Zinke’s offshore oil drilling plan, and passing FLCRC Prop 91 to ban drilling in state waters. (VICTORY! Proposal 91 passed and will be on the Nov. ballot as Amendment 9. It will need to pass with a 60% vote). (VICTORY! We have resolutions of support from Hallandale, Dania, and Deerfield Beach. Pompano passed theirs in 2010, but only includes Florida Waters. We still need resolutions of support from Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Lauderdale by the Sea, and Lighthouse Point, as well as inland cities).
- Improve the system by which Hollywood (and other cities) cleans their beaches. Eliminate rolling bar.
For more information about these campaigns, or to help with these campaigns, contact:
Catherine Uden, Chair Surfrider Broward Chapter