Current Surfrider Broward Chapter Campaigns
- Ordinances against using expanded polystyrene products in public parks and on beaches. EMAIL YOUR MAYOR.
- “Straws by request only” ordinances and/or “no plastic straws” ordinances (east of the intracoastal) in Broward restaurants and bars. A customer would get a straw by request.
- EMAIL YOUR MAYOR.
- We can email you a sample ordinance to present to your city.
- Ordinances against all intentional balloon releases, including latex balloons.
- Increase surf/paddle/sup zones on Hollywood Beach. (Possibly extend zone at Azalea Terr or include part of the Broadwalk) or go all way and ask to paddle anywhere, like Miami Beach has it. EMAIL MAYOR JOSH LEVY, VICE MAYOR DEBRA CASE, SAFETY CHIEF BRUCE WILKIE, PARKS AND REC DAVID VAZQUEZ
- Resolutions of support for home rule on plastic bag (retail shopping bag) regulation.
- VICTORY! We have resolutions from Hallandale, Dania, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Deerfield Beach, and Pompano Beach.
- We still need resolutions from Lighthouse Point and inland cities. Download a blank resolution of support HERE
- Resolutions of support for home rule on smoking bans for playgrounds and beaches. EMAIL YOUR MAYOR
- We are asking cities to put a water bottle refill station (like an Elkay) at the beach. VICTORY! Deerfield Beach and Ft. Laud Beach. Still waiting on other beaches. EMAIL YOUR MAYOR, SPEAK DURING PUBLIC COMMENTS AT YOUR NEXT CITY MEETING
- Resolutions of support against all seismic blasting and Trump/Zinke’s offshore oil drilling plan, and passing Florida Constitution Revision Commission Prop 91 to ban drilling in state waters.
- Proposal 91 passed and will be on the November ballot as Amendment 9. It will need to pass with a 60% vote. VOTE YES ON AMENDMENT 9.
- VICTORY! We have resolutions of support from Hallandale, Hollywood, Dania, Pompano Beach, Wilton Manors, Ft. Laud, Oakland Park, and Deerfield Beach. We still need resolutions of support from Lauderdale by the Sea, and Lighthouse Point, Hillsboro Beach, as well as inland cities.
- Improve the system by which Hollywood cleans their beaches. Look into seaweed issue and adding/improving dunes. Possibly eliminate rolling bar.
- Stop Kanter drilling in the Everglades.
- Change SUP/surf ordinance in Hallandale Beach.
- Eliminate the use of expanded polystyrene foam in Broward County Schools cafeterias. Please sign our petition.
For more information about these campaigns, or to help with these campaigns, contact:
Catherine Uden, Chair Surfrider Broward Chapter Chair@Broward.Surfrider.org
Statewide & Federal Campaigns
Stop New Offshore Drilling: Last year, Surfrider Foundation and our partners successfully stopped the federal government’s plans for offshore oil drilling and related seismic blasting off the Atlantic coast. However, the Trump Administration is now planning to expand offshore drilling, putting the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, and Arctic at risk of new oil rigs.
Fund Water Quality Monitoring in Florida: In 2000, the Florida Legislature created the Florida Healthy Beaches Program to test coastal water quality throughout the state. The program samples for fecal coliform and enterococci bacteria, which are bacterial indicators of poor water quality. Exposure to contaminated water can lead to gastroenteritis, respiratory illness, rashes, eye and ear ailments, and more. In 2011, the Governor and Legislature cut all state funding to the Florida Healthy Beaches Program. We seek full restoration of funding for the Florida Healthy Beaches Program in 2018.
Ban the Bag, Florida: Did you know that in Florida, it’s against the law for local governments to ban, tax, limit or regulate single-use plastic bags? In 2008, Florida lawmakers passed a bill prohibiting local governments from banning plastic bags. We want to take back our right to regulate single-use plastic bags and keep our beaches free from plastic pollution!
If you have interest in getting involved with any of our local campaigns and are looking to make a difference, please contact our Chapter Chair, Cat Uden, at Chair@broward.surfrider.org.